The Apple of His Eye ... commentary of Psalm 74
The Apple of His Eye
… A commentary of Psalm 74
Psalm 74:13 “Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters.”
Before Their Eyes
This division here is the operation of God through the man: Moses.
This points to a particular historical event, and was no less than what happened in the Second Book of Moses called Exodus when God commanded Moses to divide the Red Sea. We read in chapter fourteen, verse sixteen:
“But lift thou up thy rod, and stretch out thine hand over the sea, and divide it: and the children of Israel shall go on dry ground through the midst of the sea.” [Exodus 14:16]
Now, God expands on this operation with HIS commentary through HIS man, Nehemiah, to include all the signs and wonders performed before the people of Israel in the land of Egypt, and in the wilderness [B.C. 1491].
We read in the book of Nehemiah, chapter nine, verse ten through thirteen this: “And shewedst signs and wonders upon Pharaoh, and on all his servants, and on all the people of his land: for thou knewest that they dealt proudly against them.
So didst thou get thee a name, as it is this day. And thou didst divide the sea before them, so that they went through the midst of the sea on the dry land; and their persecutors thou threwest into the deeps, as a stone into the mighty waters.
Moreover thou leddest them in the day by a cloudy pillar; and in the night by a pillar of fire, to give them light in the way wherein they should go.
Thou camest down also upon mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments:” [Nehemiah 9:10-13].
1. The signs upon Pharaoh performed before Israel: These were all miracles.
2. The signs performed before Israel in dividing the sea, allowing Israel to go over dry ground then subsequently drowning all the Egyptians: These were all miracles.
3. The signs performed before Israel guiding and protecting them with a cloudy pillar by day and a pillar of fire by night: These were all miracles.
Now recall something here concerning all these miracles: Israel needed them!
Why? Because the Jews require a sign in order to believe: “For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:” [1 Corinthians 1:22]
We have already seen the validity of this truth earlier [in verse nine of this commentary].
These signs and wonders were performed for them before their very eyes … so that they might believe God.
Read of this sight requirement for the nation of Israel in the Fourth Book of Moses called Deuteronomy, in chapter four, verse thirty-four: “Or hath God assayed to go and take him a nation from the midst of another nation, by temptations, by signs, and by wonders, and by war, and by a mighty hand, and by a stretched out arm, and by great terrors, according to all that the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?” [Deuteronomy 4:34]
Notice: This sight requirement for Israel is the very opposite of faith. Remember what the Spirit of God said in the Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Hebrews, chapter eleven, verse one: “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” [Hebrews 11:1]
Israel thus sees with the fleshly eyes in order to believe God: For them SIGHT = BELIEVING.
The veracity of this is confirmed by no less than by Jesus Christ to the nobleman in the Gospel of John chapter four, verse forty-eight: “Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.” [John 4:48]
However, This requirement differs for us living today in the dispensation of the fulness of times: “That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:” [Ephesians 1:10].
Whereas, the believer in Jesus Christ [in this age] sees [without the fleshly sight] through the eye of faith to believe God.
(“For we walk by faith, not by sight:)” [2 Corinthians 5:7]
Now, for the last half of verse thirteen: “Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters.”
The existence of dragons has been relegated to mere legend or to myth.
If a man’s eyes cannot see something, nor his ears hear, nor feel with his hands, nor smell with his nose, nor taste with his mouth then that something cannot be determined with basis in fact, or with natural explanation.
In other words, it does not exist according to man. Man is blind because of SIN.
Natural man discerns natural things. He cannot see the supernatural because the supernatural is spiritually discerned.
Man needs to be born of the Spirit! John 3:6: “That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”
Read in the First Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians, chapter two, verse fourteen: “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” [1 Corinthians 2:14]
Whether a man believes the BIBLE, or does not believe the BIBLE, concerning dragons does not alter the reality of the existence of dragons.
The first instance of the word: dragon is found in the Fourth Book of Moses called Deuteronomy, chapter thirty-two, in verse thirty-three: “Their wine is the poison of dragons, and the cruel venom of asps.” [Deuteronomy 32:33] The poison of dragons was in their wine. The Jewish nation poisoned themselves with sin.
The place of dragons is in the low places in the earth or in the waters. Dragons are dirty creatures and often evil as we shall see.
Job in brokenness likened himself as a brother to dragons: “I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls.” [Job 30:29]
The prophet Micah cried out [in chapter one verse eight: “Therefore I will wail and howl, I will go stripped and naked: I will make a wailing like the dragons, and mourning as the owls.” [Micah 1:8]
Brokenness in heart brings the human soul to a low place near death: “Though thou hast sore broken us in the place of dragons, and covered us with the shadow of death.” [Psalm 44:19]
A dragon is kin to Death. They go together!
In another place, Scripture saith: “Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps.” [Psalm 88:6]
This verse points to the Messianic prophesy, located in the book of the Acts of the Apostles, chapter two: verse twenty-seven, that Jesus Christ’s soul would not be left behind in the low places of the earth, in HELL: “Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.” [Acts 2:27]
The low places [the deeps] of the earth are where the thorns formulate a habitation of owls and of dragons. They are companions found together!
See for this truth in the book of Isaiah, the prophet, in chapter thirty-four, verse thirteen: “And thorns shall come up in her palaces, nettles and brambles in the fortresses thereof: and it shall be an habitation of dragons, and a court for owls.” [Isaiah 34:13]
When a city, or a nation, is cursed by God it becomes a place, or a habitation for dragons among other things.
· Jeremiah 49:33: “And Hazor shall be a dwelling for dragons, and a desolation for ever: there shall no man abide there, nor any son of man dwell in it.”
· Jeremiah 51:37 “And Babylon shall become heaps, a dwelling place for dragons, an astonishment, and an hissing, without an inhabitant.”
· Malachi 1:3: “And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.”
God will even get praise from such inhabitants of the deep. How so? Because it is simply so because says it is so. Look with me in Psalm, one hundred forty-eight, verse seven: “Praise the LORD from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps:” [Psalm 148:7]
There is more:
· Isaiah 35:7: “And the parched ground shall become a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water: in the habitation of dragons, where each lay, shall be grass with reeds and rushes.”
· Isaiah 43:20: “The beast of the field shall honour me, the dragons and the owls: because I give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen.”
Now though there be dragons in the wilderness, and in the rivers, and in the sea, and all of them inhabiting the low points of the earth, there is a specific dragon spoken of in the Bible [in the book of Ezekiel the prophet]. This dragon is described as great dragon. This great dragon is identified a MAN.
Who is this man? This man was Pharaoh king of Egypt. He is the great dragon that lies in the midst of his rivers!
Ezekiel 29:3: “Speak, and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, Pharaoh king of Egypt, the great dragon that lieth in the midst of his rivers, which hath said, My river is mine own, and I have made it for myself.”
This is a water type of dragon almost like a serpent shaped creature with scales. This is all very strange yet very true.
Later in history than Pharaoh, we will find that Nebuchadrezzar the king of Babylon was downgraded to being only likened to a dragon, whereas Pharaoh was literally called the great dragon.
See in the book of Jeremiah, chapter fifty-one, verse thirty-four for this: “Nebuchadrezzar the king of Babylon hath devoured me, he hath crushed me, he hath made me an empty vessel, he hath swallowed me up like a dragon, he hath filled his belly with my delicates, he hath cast me out.” [Jeremiah 51:34]
Now it gets really bizarre!
In the book of Isaiah, the prophet, we find the dots are being connected together by the Spirit of God in HIS book.
This book shows multiple things to us.
First, there are dragons in the earth, and dragons in the waters of the earth.
Second, that someone is called a great dragon, who is living in the bottom of a river. This particular dragon is called Leviathan.
Even more than this, Leviathan is also identified as being a crooked serpent, which thing hearkens back to no less than to a connection to Lucifer himself who was standing there in that day in the garden of Eden before the first woman, Eve.
Read in the First Book of Moses called Genesis, chapter three: “Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?” [Genesis 3:1]
The book of Isaiah gives to us more illumination as to concerning what is planned for this DRAGON by the LORD. In chapter twenty-seven, verse one, we read: “In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.” [Isaiah 27:1]
Flip on to down to chapter fifty-one, verse nine: “Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the LORD; awake, as in the ancient days, in the generations of old. Art thou not it that hath cut Rahab, and wounded the dragon?” [Isaiah 51:9]
This dragon will get just due: “Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.” [Psalm 91:13] The lion, the adder, and dragon all are types of the Devil.
Speaking of the Devil, he visibly will come into the open when we get to the book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ in chapters twelve, thirteen, sixteen, and twenty.
In eleven of the verses in this book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ this dragon shows up:
· Revelation 12:3-4: “And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.
· And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.”
· Revelation 12:7: “And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,”
· Revelation 12:9: “And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.”
· Revelation 12:13: “And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.”
· Revelation 12:16-17: “And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.
· And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
· Revelation 13:2: “And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.”
· Revelation 13:4: “And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?”
· Revelation 16:13: “And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.”
· Revelation 20:2: “And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,”
The ultimate great red dragon is thus clearly identified for us in the SCRIPTURE as being Satan himself.
Now Satan was originally called Lucifer.
Isaiah 14:12: “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!”
Lucifer = Satan = DEVIL = Dragon = Serpent
In his decent Lucifer morphed or transformed into Satan. This transformation was caused by SIN, Lucifer’s sin.
Now, here is Lucifer’s sin:
Isaiah 14:13-14: “For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.”
Pride leads to self-promotion …to self-worship, and are the attributes of a REBEL.
All rebels end up in the place of dragons. The place for dragons is in the low places.
Isaiah 14:15: “Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.”
Summary: The existence of dragons is considered myth by unbelieving man.
My advice: Even if a man’s five senses cannot perceive the existence of something, that the BIBLE says exists, it would be prudent to believe the BIBLE.
Dragons are in the sea.
One particular dragon is in the sea ... in the DEEP: Leviathan.
There are also, dragons in the low places of the earth!
The great red Dragon will show up in the wilderness. This is the DEVIL.
It will be better for a man to just believe the BIBLE concerning the things which are not seen.
We will close here in the Second Epistle of
Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians, chapter four,
verse eighteen: “While we
look not at the things which are seen, but at the
things which are not seen: for the things which are
seen are temporal; but the things which are
not seen are eternal.” [2