The True Worshippers
John 4:19 “The woman saith unto him, Sir,
I perceive that thou art a prophet.
20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."
The Samaritan woman’s perception told her that this man standing before her was no mere man [a natural man] but a supernatural man!
Now, a natural man can perceive many things within himself and by himself in this physical world, but he is helpless concerning the supernatural things.
The natural man is dead to spiritual things because of sin. If we are dead in our sins, and we all are, [according to Ephesians 2:5] then, HOW did this woman perceive that this man was a prophet? “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.” (Romans 5:12)
We are dead men!
We all are the walking dead!
We, being the sons of Adam, are unable to detect SPIRITUAL things of GOD.
In 1 Corinthians 2:11 we find this question is answered. “For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.”
Unregenerate man doesn’t know [SENSE] the things of God!
That means we are totally UNABLE to perceive the spiritual things of God.
Then how did this unsaved woman perceive that this man was a prophet? “The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive [acknowledge the TRUTH] that thou art a prophet.”
The Work Of The Holy Ghost In This Age [Church Age]
“And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:” [John 16:8].
The Spirit of God reproves [CONVICTS] the sinner:
1. Of Sin - [John 16:9] “Of sin, because they believe not on me;”
2. Of Righteousness - [John 16:10] “Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;”
3. Of Judgment - [John 16:11] “Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.”
t is the Spirit of GOD who gives perception to the sinner.
“All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.” [John 16:15]
The Spirit of God shows the sinner spiritual things [OPENS eyes to spiritual things]:
4. The Spirit of God guides into all TRUTH - “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come." [John 16:13]
5. The Spirit of God points to The Son of GOD and not to Himself [The Holy Ghost] – “He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.” [John 16:14]
6. The Spirit of God peradventure gives them repentance – “In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;” [2 Timothy 2:25]
7. The Spirit of God quickens - [John 6:63] “It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”
When “the woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet,” her perception came from the work of the Spirit of GOD who showed her that Jesus Christ was a prophet. Amen!
Indeed Jesus Christ is The Prophet, The High Priest and The King of kings. [Matthew 21:11, Hebrew 6:20, 1 Timothy 6:15].
Salvation Is Of The Jews
“Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews”
Hated by the world, the nation of the Jews [Israel] is the very means of salvation to the world … to all the nations. Truly anything worthwhile in this old world … is of the Jews … chief of which is SALVATION from the eternal fires of Hell.
1. From the Jews: We have received the word of GOD. We have received the "ORACLES of GOD" [The BIBLE].
The Bible with its 66 books was given to us by GOD through the Jewish nation "because that unto them were committed the oracles of God." [Romans 3:2] GOD gave us his BOOK over a span of 1,500 years ... beginning nearly 3,500 years ago!
2. From the Jews: We have received the SAVIOR … Jesus Christ who is the SON of GOD … who came to die for our sins on Mount Calvary … so that we might be saved, and receive the gift of eternal life. “For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.” [John 3:17]
3. From the Jews: We will receive the one who shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, the everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace to rule the nations.
Turn to the book of Isaiah and see the LIGHT prophesied to come into the world.
Note the placement of the Jews into the very course of human events is determined by God Himself.
“The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined. Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy: they joy before thee according to the joy in harvest, and as men rejoice when they divide the spoil. For thou hast broken the yoke of his burden, and the staff of his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, as in the day of Midian.
For every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire. For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, the everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. The Lord sent a word into Jacob, and it hath lighted upon Israel.” [Isaiah 9:2-8]
God Is A Spirit
David by the Spirit said this in [Psalm 139:7-12]. “Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.”
God is a spirit.
“The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit [SPIRIT] of the Lord bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.” [Isaiah 40:7]
How can a man explain this?
When God bloweth upon the grass it is awesome.
When you realize the grass represents the people,
you will fear the LORD.
“For our God is a consuming fire.” [Hebrews
God is a spirit.
GOD the Father is Spirit, and Jesus Christ the SON of GOD is the express image of GOD WHO is a SPIRIT [Scripture with Scripture]. “Who [THE SON] being the brightness of his [THE FATHER] glory, and the express image of his person [THE FATHER], and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he [THE SON] had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty [THE FATHER] on high;” [Hebrews 1:3].
Jesus is GOD come in the flesh! [1 Timothy 3:16] “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”
Jesus Christ is the “all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.” [Colossians 2:9] “For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.”
We have covered more of this truth in our Bible study: Born Again … the Supernatural Birth in John chapter three verses 1- 8. The Messiah: Jesus Christ